Travelers should have their passport valid for at least six months beyond their departure date. Whenarriving by air, you might be asked to show a return ticket or open-jaw onward ticket. Upon arrival, immigration officials may only stamp 30 days into a passport though the limit is 180 days. If this happens, explain how many more days you need, supported by an exit ticket for onward or return travel. With a few exceptions, visas are not required for travelers entering Peru. Tourists are permitted a 183-day, non-extendable stay, stamped into passports and onto a tourist card called a Tarjeta Andina de Migración (Andean Immigration Card). Keep it – it must be returned upon exiting the country. If you will need it, request the full amount of time to the immigration officer at the point of entry, since they have a tendency to issue 30- or 90-day stays. If you lose your tourist card, visit an oficina de migraciónes (immigration office; for a replacement. Information in English can be found online. Extensions are no longer officially available. Anyone who plans to work, attend school or reside in Peru for any length of time must obtain a visa in advance. Do this through the Peruvian embassy or consulate in your home country. Carry your passport and tourist card on your person at all times, especially in remote areas (it’s required by law on the Inca Trail). For security, make a photocopy of both documents and keep them in a separate place from the originals.